Other Historic Places & Resources
Brandy Station Battlefield
Location of the largest cavalry battle in the United States, fought on June 9, 1863. For information on visiting the battlefield and upcoming programs, contact the Brandy Station Foundation.
This charming little building is one of Culpeper’s oldest homes. It is a log house covered outside by clapboard. The interior is original with the exception of a few restored sections. It may have been standing in 1749 when Culpeper County was formed, though some recent analysis suggests the house may have been built in the late 1700s. In the mid 1800s, a two-story addition was added to the original log house. Mrs. Allen was the owner and she left the house and lot to two granddaughters, Mrs. Priddie and Mrs. Burgandine. The addition went to Mrs. Priddie and the original log house to Mrs. Burgandine. In 1963, Mrs. Louise Donovan of New York City, granddaughter of Mrs. Priddie, donated the land for the construction of the Town and County Library. The 2-story addition was torn down when construction began. In 1966, Mrs. Elizabeth Burgandine Coons gave the original log house to the Town of Culpeper. In the 1990s the Town of Culpeper restored the house to reflect its original appearance and to serve our citizens as a viewpoint to Culpeper’s colonial past.
The Burgandine House is located at 803 S. Main Street. Parking is available in the Economic Development Building’s parking lot.
Hours: (subject to change)
or by Appointment
Free Admission to All; Donations accepted.
For additional information about the house or for program and tour information, email [email protected] or call David Reeves at (540) 729-5218.
The Carver 4-County Museum
Located in the former George Washington Carver Regional school, the Carver 4-County Museum’s mission is to document, celebrate and share the educational, social, cultural and military history of students, faculty and administrators of the school, the only institution of higher education in Virginia’s four-county region of Culpeper, Madison, Orange and Rappahannock from 1948-68. For information on exhibits and programs, visit the museum’s website.
Cedar Mountain Battlefield
The largest battle in Culpeper County was fought here during the Civil War on August 9, 1862. For information on visiting the battlefield and upcoming programs, visit the Friends of Cedar Mountain Battlefield.
Culpeper African-American Heritage Alliance/ Right the Record
In partnership with the Town of Culpeper, the Culpeper AAHA is sharing the stories of people and places of significance in Culpeper’s history in hope they will be shared widely until the knowledge becomes commonplace and well-known in Culpeper and beyond. A number of historic African-American business locations have been marked in the downtown area. Information on these locations and more is available through the project’s website.
The Germanna Settlement was established in 1714 in Orange County just on the other side of the Radpidan River from Culpeper County, but the community would later include properties on both sides of the river. The Germanna Foundation currently manages archaelogical investigations and ongoing historical research on the original Germanna settlement and Governor Alexander Spotswood’s nearby country manor. Contact the Foundation for more information.
The Graffiti House at Brandy Station
This historic house was located next to a busy railroad during the Civil War. The interior walls are covered with graffiti left by soldiers who passed by. For visitor information, contact the Brandy Station Foundation.
Built in 1757,this Georgian-style manor was the home of Reverend John Thompson, rector of St. Mark’s Parish. The home is owned and operated by the Germanna Foundation. Contact them for more information on hours of operation.
Museum of Culpeper History
113 S. Commerce Street
Culpeper, VA 22701
Phone: (540) 829-1749
10am – 4pm
CLOSED: Thanksgiving Day, Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day